Hurricane Insurance Coverage Guide

Apr 10, 2019

Hurricane Insurance Coverage Guide:

Do you know what kind of insurance coverage you need to protect against the damage a hurricane can cause? Damage from fly debris, falling trees, and flood waters are just a few of the serious risks a hurricane can cause.  Make sure you’re prepared by reviewing your risks and current insurance policy coverage.


Hurricane Season

The Atlantic hurricane season lasts from June through November, with activity peaking from mid-August to late October, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

What is Hurricane Insurance?

Technically, there is no specific policy known as “hurricane insurance.”  Damages from hurricanes can be covered under a standard homeowners, renters, flood, wind, or business insurance policy. Be sure to carefully review the insurance policy you have as there may be specific coverage exclusions listed within it.  Be sure to check with your insurance agent to see what coverage you currently have and what you may be missing.

When’s the Best Time To Get a Policy?

As soon as possible.

Some insurance policies require a waiting period before coverage kicks in, and some carriers won’t write new policies or add coverage in the days leading up to a big storm. If you want the right coverage in place, you need to get it now.

Homeowners Insurance

Most standard homeowners policies offer a broad range of protections for damages caused by hurricanes. However you may find certain exclusions depending on where you live and the insurance policy you have, meaning you will need more than one policy to full protect your home from hurricane damage.

Damages from flooding, for example, are completely excluded on standard homeowners policies. For this type of coverage, you will need to get a separate policy through the National Flood Insurance Program.

Your deductible for hurricane damage may also vary slightly from the typical deductible you’re used to with your homeowners policy. Be sure to check with your insurance agent on what specific coverage you have with your current policy.

Renters Insurance

If you’re renting your current living space, the building is likely covered by your landlord’s insurance policy. However, your landlord’s insurance won’t cover your personal possessions & property. It is up to you to purchase adequate protection for the items in your home.

Keep in mind that the standard renters policy excludes coverage for damage from flooding. For this type of coverage, you will need to get a separate policy through the National Flood Insurance Program.

Business Owners Insurance

Coverage for commercial claims from hurricane losses can vary widely depending on the policy a business owner has chosen. Your commercial insurance policy can help cover some damage by a hurricane, like repairing or replacing physical property, but it does have limitations. Like personal insurance policies, flood coverage is not included in standard commercial coverage, unless they have the appropriate riders. For this type of coverage, you will need to get a separate policy through the National Flood Insurance Program.

If you are unsure what coverage you have under your commercial insurance policy, you should sit down with your insurance agent and go over the details of your policy.

Home-Based Business Owners

If you run your business out of your home, don’t put all your hopes on your homeowners or renters policy covering your damages.

Homeowner’s policies can be finicky when it comes to insuring business gear. Many exclude coverage for commercial property altogether unless you add the appropriate rider.

Flood Insurance

With hurricanes often come excessive rain and powerful storm surges– making flooding pretty common. Unfortunately, standard insurance policies don’t cover flooding.

You can obtain flood insurance coverage as a rider to your current policy or as stand-alone coverage through the National Flood Insurance program.

Keep in mind that flood insurance takes 30 days to go into effect. This means a policy purchased today won’t provide coverage for any events in the next 30 days. So, you can’t just run out and buy a flood insurance policy when a storm is on the horizon; these policies must be purchased in advance.

Wind Damage

Depending on the area you live in, you may need to purchase wind damage protection in addition to your standard insurance policy.

While some standard homeowners policies do cover damage by wind (like hurricanes and tornadoes), this coverage may be excluded from your policy if you live in a high-risk area like along the coast. Double check your policy to see if this type of damage is covered or excluded.

Hurricane Deductibles

Your deductible is the amount you agree to pay out-of-pocket toward a claim before your policy pays for expenses.

Hurricane and wind damage deductibles vary widely depending on your provider and the area you live in. If you aren’t sure whether you have a hurricane deductible, call your insurer to check the details of your policy.

Get In Touch

The best way to prepare for hurricane season is to sit down with your insurance agent and review your policies. A good agent will be able to answer any questions you have and provide you honest suggestions about coverage options.

Live along the Texas Coast? Check out our Coastal Insurance Program.

Have questions about your coverage options? Get in touch through the form below.

Return to Top

Get In Touch

We're a homegrown team and like doing things the personal way -- over the phone. The best way to set up a quote or talk about insurance is to call us directly. Or, leave your info in the form here and we'll be in touch.

Call: 979.542.3666

Hours: M-F, 8am to 5pm